January 30, 2011

Kitchen dilemma

Most of you who know me may think I'm referring to my cooking. Or lack of knowledge in cooking. Or my lack of trusting myself in cooking to not measure every little thing other than a pinch. If you are, ha ha, very funny.
My real dilemma lies in painting cupboards.

A couple of years ago, I saw a kitchen pictured in a Good Housekeeping magazine.
It had hardwood floors, green lower cabinets, white upper cabinets and a dark counter top. The point of the two colors was to bridge the color gap between the white cupboards and the dark counter.
I got married in the '90s. Dark colors and jewel tones were all the rage. I painted every surface in my kitchen white, got a dark green counter top, a dark green linoleum floor and painted ceiling trim and baseboards dark green. I started to tire of it, especially the contrast between the white and the dark green.

I began to think this new color combo would work in my kitchen. So we installed bamboo hardwood flooring, and I painted my lower cupboards green.

Of course now I want new lighting and stainless steel appliances, but that's just the beginning and still, this is not my dilemma.

My dilemma is that I'm not sure if it looks okay to have the upper cupboards white. Some people have asked me if I just didn't get to painting them yet. So, I am asking if anyone has an opinion on this matter.


There are some schools of thought on this subject.

I think I should leave them the way they are and it will all look fine when I get the stainless appliances.
My father thinks I should add white paint to the green and paint them a lighter shade of green.
My friend Kelley suggested I paint just the panel of the cupboard doors green.  
Another thought is to paint the area above the cupboards, I believe the soffit, with the green.

It's a very small kitchen and in a perfect world I would have blown out the back wall of my house and added the monster that I want and need and I'll even say deserve.

You see, this is it. No more, no less. I have also toyed with the idea of adding a glass front to some of the doors. That might break it up some. I'm just not sure if it's too small for the different colors.

It's funny to look at how small it is. When I'm in it, I don't think about it. You should see us on holidays, lol. It's hilarious. I need double ovens and tons more space for Easter as I have about 20 people and we all know that Easter in WNY is an inside holiday. So, either I'm bumping into anyone who wants to help or, I'm doing everything myself and none of it is done at the same time.

One good thing that's happening in my kitchen is taking place in the other half.

In July, I posted a pic of this new bench my Dad built. I made the pillows and my sister helped me with the cushion. Now, my good old Pop is just putting the finishing touches on a kitchen table he made for us. He had some old oak flooring from the 60's that he wanted to use for something, so he made a tabletop with it. He said he should be finished this week.

In the meantime, I have some bentwood chairs in the basement with cane seating in them. My Dad and I picked them up at a garage sale about 17 years ago and I have yet to do something with them.

Don't get me wrong, the caning wasn't always bad. We have used them. I don't just hoard stuff and not use it. Mostly.



 Anyhoo, since the cane is all broken, I am going to make new solid seats for them and cover them with the fleur de lis fabric on the bench. However, I want to paint them black first. So I have to get to the hardware store to get some black paint.

My little Daddy also made Big V a new dresser so we have to pick that up too. I'll post pics of it all when it arrives.

OH, an update on my "resolutions".

I have been planning weekday meals for three weeks now. I'm proud of myself and less hurried.
I set up my esty shop and I'm in the middle of getting all the paperwork done for it.
I've stopped eating everything in site and have exercised twice (usually on a Monday).
I have started to "get on with it" esp at work. It seems to be working to keep me from getting upset about things beyond my control.
I'll let you know how any of the rest of my resolutions are going when I do something about them.

Today I am thankful for this new program on the new PC called Microsoft Surface Globe. You can see the satellite view of the entire earth. I've been spending a lot of time on it lately. I've been everywhere!! It's so cool! I went to the Cape, of course, the Grand Canyon, out to Oregon to see my brother, up to the Arctic circle to see the ice, across the pond to England to look for Auntie Margaret's street. Then Ron took me to France to show me all the places he went when he was there. Then to Oman and Turkey to show me those places as well. It's quite amazing. Technology these days. My grandma would be amazed.


See you soon! Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment