March 16, 2012

And Speaking Of Quilts...

In one of my recent posts, I mentioned that I am going to make a baby quilt for my husband's niece as a gift for her baby shower this summer.

Well, my sister-in-law Donna called me the next day and asked me if I was interested in having my great-aunt's quilt handed sideways (not down) to me from my brother, Thomas.

Well I said YES!


Most of it is in pretty good shape.


But there is some damage along two of the edges.


My sister-in-law thinks maybe it was a full size quilt used on a twin bed and it got stepped on a lot. I think that's a pretty good deduction. She's smart, that Donna.

Anyhoots, I would like to wash it, but I don't know how, especially without ruining it. Does anyone know a good way to do this? I suppose I will have to do it by hand, and in the bathtub because its too large to put in a wash basin. I don't know what kind of soap to use either. Or should I just leave it alone? It is really yellowed on the back, which is white. And maybe I should wait until my clothesline is back up so I can hang it out in the sun to dry. If anyone has a suggestion, I am all ears.

Well, we are off to watch some of our old Irish dancing friends do a show at one of our favorite restaurants. Have a great evening!!


3 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...I'm not sure on either one...repairing or washing. Better seek some expert advice. I did wonder if it would fade in the sunlight. (Sometimes red does.) Irish dancing!! I'm jealous! Sounds like a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't know how to wash it or fix it either Mary, but it sure is a beautiful quilt, I hope you manage to find out.
    I hope you have a great weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would leave it as is, use for display, all info I've read will say no dry cleaning or washing by machine or hand washing {unless you don't mind being by disowned by whoever gave it to you or it,s junk to begin with]. Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete