August 2, 2010

P.S. More June

Ok, I know it seemed as though June should be over, but I thought of some more things I forgot to mention.

First, when I was looking at the cherry tree picture, I remembered about strawberries. This is the second year we had a bad growing season for strawberries.

  
When I was a kid, my Mom and I would go strawberry picking after school was out. She would make the best jam. I wanted to make the same memory with my girls, but we haven't been able to go strawberry pickin' in two years. I haven't made strawberry jam in two years. So, I was hoping to freeze cherries and make strawberry jam or some kind of chutney from cherries and I have been denied. I was thinking maybe I need to find a different strawberry field to go to. I've been trying to keep tradition by going to the place my mom went.
  
That's ok. There are more fruits that will be coming out this summer.

I realized I forgot to post a picture of the jewelry I made with the estate sale carnelians I bought.

Here's how my set came out. I receive compliments on it every time I wear it. people love it. I wish I had more of them so I could make more. I also would like one more carnelian to make a ring. But alas, I am fresh out.

I also said I was going to try something with my parent's old cameras.
I was trying to take a picture with my camera thru the viewfinder of the old camera. I don't really know how people do that. I've seen some really great pictures taken that way. My camera would not focus. HaHa! It looks like I took a picture of the TV. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to keep trying.

Another thing that I love, love, love to do is decorate my house. I decorate for living, with funiture, fabrics, paint colors. But I also decorate for the seasons. I think I picked this up from my mother. She always had her collections, glassware, teacups, and milk glass placed very artistically around the house on furniture my father made. Now, I am doing the same thing.

My summer passion is seashells. For as long as I have lived in this house, I have pulled out my seashells every June to decorate for the summer. I have shells I've purchased, shells I've found, shells that have been given to me, shells other people have found.

Once we started going to Cape Cod, I began collecting sea glass. One beach in particular gives me a piece of glass every time I go there and look. Be it morning, afternoon, sunset, high tide, low tide, any kind of tide.
I keep it all in this jar. This doesn't include this year's haul. Plus I found something else that was very interesting. But I'll show that to you later.

These shells were my mother's. She brought them from England. She found them on a beach that I can't remember the name of. I love how tiny they all are.

You will be hard pressed to find a room in my house that does not have some shells in it. They are everywhere. Starfish are quite interesting to me. I've heard that if you put them back into salt water, they will come back to life. I don't know if that is true, but I will tell you that it was sooooo humid here last week that one of my starfish started to soften up and I could move its rays. Now it's in a different position than it was the week before. Very interesting.

I am so thankful for all the beautiful things I have. I was looking at all the pictures I took of things that interest me or that I blogged about. And I am really blessed to have all of it. Plus the camera! That is quite a special thing to own. I love taking pictures so much, it really makes me happy. Something I inherited from my Momma. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment