August 16, 2010

Cape Cod: Part 2

When we are on Cape, I must eat lobster.

This lobster roll is from a restaurant called Arnolds. It is a "triple the size at less than double the price" sandwich. I was dying. Look at the giant piece of lobster on the right of the picture. My mouth is watering just looking at it.

My husband calls Arnolds a "license to print money". Lol. They have this killer food, there is always a line out the door for it. They also have a line for ice cream most of the time. Another thing they have is mini golf. The landscaping is out of this world.

My sister and three of the girls played golf while Ron and I split a triple size lobster roll. We just sat there and ate it with a fork. My other niece was taking a nap in our truck. (The sun and surf was really wearing her out!) Anyway, the lobster roll is worth the money. It is $28.99. Lobster was $18.99/lb. There was so much meat on this roll, it had to be a three lb. lobster worth of meat. At least. So, if you were doing all the work cracking and picking and getting that much meat, it would cost you $56.97. Minimally. Ok, off my pitch for the Arnold Triple Lobster Roll. :)

Another stunning sunset. This time at Campground Beach.

Most of time spent on vacation is dictated by the tides. To someone who lives inland, it is a very different way of life. I, for one, find it fascinating. Since my nieces have never been to the ocean before, we wanted to make sure they got to see how far out they can walk when the tide is out. This beach is on the bay side of the cape so the tide is out very far.
 
We must be able to walk for two miles. My husband goes very far. He and Big V. They see fish and crabs and shells. The crabs hide under the sand and grab you as you walk past. I always wear water shoes. This year shells were hard to find on the beach. All beaches it seemed. But my sister and the girls found a lot of shells on this day.

Another thing I find interesting is the difference in sand coarseness at each beach. This was the sand at Race Point Beach, in Provincetown.
It was very coarse. Every grain was like a tiny rock. I love rocks. Every year I come home with a big zippy bag full. I should have been a geologist. I had a rock collection when I was in 4th grade. I found it in my closet at my parent's house. It was awesome to relive that memory! Lol. I remember friends that wanted some of my rocks. The claws would come out and I would defend my prized possessions.

Which brings me to another side subject. Sorry. Sometimes I do this. 

When I was a kid, my brother Michael was always leaving home. He joined the Air Force. He used to drive peoples cars to other states. He moved to this state and that state. Of course, I cried every time he left. When I was in 6th grade, he went out west with his girlfriend at the time. When he was leaving, he gave me this softball sized rock. He said, "Will you watch this rock for me while I'm gone? I believe it has all kinds of crystals inside. When I come back, we will take it somewhere together and have it cut. Then we each can have a half."

Here it is in his back yard. He sent this to me to show me it was happy. Lol!

I hung on to that rock all this time. He never moved back from Oregon. When he was here this past spring, (see Maple Weekend post), I brought up the rock and the fact that I've been sitting here holding on to the rock and he never came back. He said they have "rock shops" in OR and that I should give it to him and he will have it cut. So, like a fool, I gave it to him. He still has not had it cut and he is coming here in three weeks for my Dad's 80th birthday. So I sent him a text message asking if he needs money to cut the rock and he said that didn't sound too good. Lol!



Okay, back to the Cape. 
 
This is the inside of Highland Light, a.k.a. Cape Cod Light. It was the first lighthouse in the nation to have a flashing light. Last year I went inside and climbed up. Don't ask me why, but I cannot do the things I used to do. The climb up scared the hell out of me. I started thinking too much about the structure and what the heck was holding up those stairs. By the time I got to the top I was shaking. This year I stayed outside.

It is just as lovely, if not more, from outside. This lighthouse was moved back 450 feet from the cliff in 1996, actually by a firm from good ol' Buffalo. The Cape is always eroding. It is a major concern to all people who live there. I'm concerned about it too. I'm sure most people who just come to visit don't care. They didn't seem to care about much except themselves and their kids. (Sorry, just a little bitter rambling)

The last place we visited on Cape was the Cape Cod Lavender Farm. It was so wonderful. As soon as we stepped out of the truck, that was all we could smell. It just so happens that this farm was recently featured in one of my favorite magazines.
There was a lovely little shed where you could purchase lavender, soap, candles, shower gel.

There was this great bowl filled with buds.

I bought a half a pound! It's pretty light so I got a LOT.
I put a quarter by it so you could see the size of the bag. 
I love lavender. When I was a kid, for some reason, I was frequently nauseasous. I still have no idea why. My mom always had Yardleys lavender water. Her sister would come from London to visit and she brought it with her every time. Mom said it would make me feel better to smell it so she put it on a linen handkerchief and I would breathe in the aroma. It always made me feel better. So now, I am addicted to lavender. I'm not sure what I will do with all of this, but I think everyone will be getting something that smells nice for Christmas! Probably some drawer sachets or the like.

My one last observation about Cape Cod is that they must all know some big secret to growing the most incredible hydrangeas on the planet.
This secret must be on the internet somewhere. I have yet to look. I should have gone to a garden center disguised as a local buying a plant and ask what the secret is. Next time I go, that's what I'm doing. So I too, can have results like this...
My gracious! What is the secret??!!!

I'm so thankful for a great trip to the Cape this year. Even though I didn't learn the hydrangea secret. :)
And, thank God for lobster!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment